If you got hit by these massive updates recently, the following seo tips and info should help improve your site's suddenly rocky standing with big G over time...
First, let's understand Panda and Penguin. The two main offenders to these giant Google algo updates were duplicate content and unnatural link schemes - mainly involving over-optimization of hypertext link anchor text.
So, if your site had a bunch of low quality content and a blatant inbound link scheme, you probably suffered.
If your site had a sizable amount of duplicate content on multiple sub pages, take the time to make some onsite content changes:
- Switch up the meta descriptions to make each sub page unique (doesn't have to be Shakespeare, just a basic description of the page - these are often left blank at first)
- Edit image ALT tag duplicates if you use the same picture on multiple pages
- Add a few new sub pages with completely unique, informative content
- Insert meta tags on each page - I realize tags have been devalued for SEO purposes but it surely can't hurt to have different sets on each sub page vs. leaving them blank
- Improve your internal link structure by adding unique links on each sub page to other pages of your site
A prime offender who likely suffered reduced rankings would be a local business website targeting each suburb of a metro area by creating specific landing pages for each city/town.
It's easy to get lazy and crank out repeated content with just a few words (such as the targeted city name) changed on each page, but not worth it long term.